Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home/content/87/9537587/html/wp-content/plugins/facebook-button-plugin/facebook-button-plugin.php on line 379
Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home/content/87/9537587/html/wp-content/plugins/facebook-button-plugin/facebook-button-plugin.php on line 382
13 Cool Facts about Halloween:
- The correct spelling of Halloween is Hallowe’en.
- Halloween has several different names: All Hallow’s Eve, Hallowmas, Samhain, Third Harvest, Celtic New Year, All Hallowtide, All Saints Eve, El Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).
- Sometimes called the Witches’ New Year’s Eve, the dark half of the year commences on October 31st.
- Halloween dates back 2000 years ago as a Pagan tradition.
- Samhain, traditionally known as the meat harvest, is possibly the best-loved Sabbat of many Pagans as well as the third and final harvest festival in the “Wheel of the Year”.
- Wearing masks on Halloween comes from Welsh and Celtic traditions.
- Jack O’ Lanterns originated in Ireland as hollowed out turnips with candles placed to keep away evil ghosts and spirits on the Samhain holiday.
- Orange and black are traditional Halloween colours, where orange represents the fall Harvest and black the darkness.
- Black cats were believed to be witches’ protectors of their dark powers.
- White cats are believed to be bad luck in England.
- If you see a spider on Halloween, it is said to be the spirit of a loved one watching over you.
- Ringing a bell scares evil spirits away.
- Halloween is always celebrated on October 31st.